Sunday, September 10, 2006

Sat 2006 Sep 9, Bear Water 20-mile race, 52 deg

Bear Water 20-mile Race, 2:42:01, pace 8:06. A PR by 8 minutes, though I haven't run a 20-miler for at least two years so it was time for one. 2nd in my age group, after Norm. Excellent weather for running, 50 at the start and 53 at the finish with a dew point of 40. The grass wasn't even wet. I was going to run an 8:15 pace, but got a bit ahead of that and was able to keep going. Experienced some vertigo at mile 15 and from then on, enough to slow me a little. This is not totally a new thing, but this time at one point I wasn't sure if my feet were under me; I might have fallen. What to do about that? Dunno. No serious stomach upset this time! Why? Differences: (1) No food between late Friday evening and the race start; (2) Black coffee on the way to the race; (3) Clif Shot gel at mile 2 & every 4 miles up to 14, with caffeine shots at 6 & 14; (4) Ginger afterward; (5) Accelerade 8 oz afterward; (6) Popcorn afterward; (7) Cool, dry weather. No knee pain, no pains at all. Met Darrell C, nice guy. A & S ran the 10 in 2:27! Very nice. A few runners lapped them, but I wasn't able to.

No comments: