Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Happy Run

Hooray! No pain in the left leg! After yesterday’s painful, aborted run, I had visions of walking the next marathon with a cracked bone. But today the pain was gone. I wonder how that happens. Six miles in 50:04, pace 8:21.

Eagle Momma and I went to the club to run, because it was raining, and so that I could cross-train if running didn’t work out. Boring, as always, but a comfortable place to run nonetheless. Today I focused on the pleasurable feelings as I ran, the wind going by, the metronomic motion of the body, the swoosh of passing a walker or being passed by a faster runner, the steady rapid breathing. It’s easier to focus on the work involved, but more productive to think about the positive feelings.

Splits: 8:37, 8:20, 8:16, 8:19, 8:20, 8:12. Breathing mostly four footfalls per full breath, sometimes three. That is fast breathing for today's workaday pace, but not unusual when, as today, I’ve eaten just before the run. The pace felt very natural, and is just the speed I’d like to run between water stops in the next marathon.

No comments: