Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Not So Performance Enhancing?

DEX:

Now several days after the first dose of dexamethasone (dex) (see previous post March 8) I have a better feel for the effect that it has on my body. I was especially “peppy” on Saturday, the day after taking the dex. It felt like I had taken a couple of No-Doz, which of course are legal. I’m not sure just why dex is banned during competition (though not “out of competition”) because it doesn’t build muscle. I assume that it is banned because it is a stimulant like caffeine.

I am part of a study that will help to determine whether a drug called CC-4047, taken with the dex, will be of benefit to people with myeloma. I don’t want to mess up the study. But I may do as Kel suggests and ask the doctors if I can slide the regimen just two days to take the dex Sunday night instead of Friday. The trial is divided into four-week “cycles” - I’ll probably wait for the completion of the first full cycle before making that change.

In any case I’m just going to forget about the issue of dex as a performance-enhancing drug, at least for now. I don’t actually think that it will help my performance, certainly not more than extra caffeine might help. I have notified the proper people about the dex, and if anyone thinks that it is an issue then we’ll deal with it.

Today’s run:

61 minutes at the N St Paul Community Center. I forgot to wear my watch, but according to several time checks using the clock on the wall, the pace was about 8:30, so the distance would be a little over seven miles. Lovely run, no pains worth mentioning. Longest run since mid-January - it’s a masterpiece! Hopefully seven more miles on Thursday.


Breakfast
This morning's post-run breakfast: Irish oatmeal with organic flame raisins, dried dragon fruit, Don's nut/fruit/berry mix, organic walnuts, organic blueberries, banana, Dove dark chocolate, organic nonfat milk.

Dinner 1
Recent dinner: Free-range no-hormone no-antibiotic bison, organic carrots, onions, parsnips baked in a little grape seed oil, pure organic pomegranate juice.

Dinner 2
Another recent dinner: Curried turkey with organic peas, organic brown rice, organic wild rice, and organic cauliflower, all with mango. Downed with a delightful dark ale. :-)

2 comments:

peter said...

Mmm, those meals look good. Glad you got out for a nice hour run at 8;30s. I've been slacking lately (training others by accompanying them actually slows you down) but I got out today in glorious weather for a 10K on the Mall in under 50 minutes. It felt great. I cheated tho, and shut off my watch at the many street crossings which hold you up and I also made it a tourist run b/c I shut off my watch while I took some dusk pix of national icons in the Capital like the WW2 Memorial and the Capitol.

Are you taking chemo after Mayo? I'm ignorant and not sure what regieme you're on. Take care!

Don said...

Thanks Peter,

Yes I've started a treatment regimen with an experimental drug and a strong steroid. More about that on my myeloma blog. Not the kind of chemo that causes hair loss, but I do have to monitor my blood closely and went in for a draw this morning.

Good time on that 10k, glad you got in a nice run. I'm about to go run 6 miles myself.