Saturday, March 08, 2008

Ethical Steroids?

More about the steroids below; first the run: North St Paul Community Center 6 miles in 51:16, not such a bad time considering I was trying not to hurry. Best news of all: No pains! None. YAY! It’s a masterpiece.

Splits: 8:49, 8:32, 8:37, 8:34, 8:32, 8:11, average pace 8:33. I’ll take it, and in fact I felt PEPPY this morning, probably because of new medicines that I took last night. Which brings us to the ...

Ethical Question:

I am taking dexamethasone (DEX) 40 mg once a week to treat cancer. More on my myeloma blog. DEX is a “potent synthetic glucocorticosteroid” (Wikipedia). According to IIAF rules, DEX is permitted “out of competition” but not in competition. I am always in competition. My doctor says that it can make one feel “peppy” the day after it is taken, and maybe the day after that. Then another day later I may want a six-hour nap!

I take the DEX on Friday nights because I started on a Friday (yesterday) and the drug trial that I am on says I should stick to the schedule as closely as possible. I usually race on Saturday and Sunday, so I may feel "peppy." DEX has the potential to break down muscle, as contrasted with anabolic steroids, so I doubt there are any long term benefits to athletic performance, but “peppy” may be a genuine benefit. This morning I felt as though I had about six cups of coffee, but without having to pee every 20 minutes. And I ran at the pace my body wanted to go, which was a little faster than expected considering my current low level of fitness.

So I’m a little upset about the ethical issues. Ethics are about ourselves, as I see it - I wouldn't have to speak up about this and I will never be drug tested. Some people might just give the poor bugger with cancer a free pass, but I don’t really want a free pass. How will I feel if I manage somehow to make a good time and finish ahead of my age-group friends in, say, an MDRA Grand Prix event? Are there other people that I should contact, at MDRA or USATF, to get input or a ruling on this? Should I run the races but declare myself ineligible for awards or rankings? I’m tempted in that direction - I sure do want to run the races.

Anyway, I’m conflicted and would appreciate anyone’s input.



Dinner / salad
Last night's Tex/Mex dinner and salad: Organic romaine lettuce, cucumbers, organic medjool dates, organic blueberries (yum), Sunshine's homemade avocado sauce, organic blue corn chips, pistachios, organic red wine sauce. Not pictured: A yummy chicken soup with lots of vegetables.

1 comment:

Kel said...

I'm assuming you'll be taking Dex once a week? Since you just started your first dose, is there any problem extending the next (and subsequent) dose(s) to Sunday nights instead of Fridays? That would allow you to still be consistent with the rest of your treatment regimen and run all of your weekend races without feeling guilty.