Sunday, March 16, 2008

Human Race 8k

The Human Race is a very popular (large) race in St Paul held annually on a Sunday near St Patrick’s Day. Mid-March is iffy in Minnesota, but today the running was fine. A good start to the season. I finished in 38:12, good enough for second of eight in my age group, but many of the best runners did not show up. My time was only a minute and 13 seconds over last year, a little better than I expected considering my current level of conditioning and having run 10 miles in the previous two days. Last year’s time was almost two minutes over my 2006 time of 35:13, which is still my 8k PR.

I wonder if I could have run a bit faster today. The first two miles were good, but I slowed to drink at the water stop at 2 ½ and walked for brief periods up the hills between mile 3 and 4. After the first mile my breathing alternated between four footfalls per full breath and three footfalls, and I could probably have pushed it to three the whole way. Splits: 7:37, 7:23, 8:08, 8:13, 6:52. That last mile is downhill and about 12 seconds shorter than a full mile, but nevertheless suggests that I had some steam left at the end. I can be more confident and push a little harder in the next race. I doubt if Friday night’s dexamethasone had any effect on today’s time.

Weather was 36 degrees and sunny with a south wind that cooled but didn’t bother. I overdressed a little with tights, a heavy shirt, and a windbreaker. But I was glad to have the extra clothing on when I went back to get my two sweeties still on the course.

I’m a happy runner. No pains of any kind. I feel great and today is a masterpiece for several reasons!


Super breakfast
This morning's breakfast: Certified gluten-free oatmeal with organic flame raisins, blueberries, mango, Don's nut/fruit/berry mix, banana, papaya, organic walnuts, organic nonfat milk. Looks like a lot and it was, but good to the last bite.

1 comment:

peter said...

Nice time in the 8K. Where did that last mile come from! Saving the best for last. I remember running Summit Ave. from the 2004 TCM.