Thursday, January 17, 2013

Meet of the Miles

Monday, January 14, 2013:

The Meet of the Miles is an annual Minnesota tradition, a one-mile race on the 200-m track in the University of Minnesota Field house.  It’s the first Minnesota Grand Prix race of the year, and lots of my old friends show up, along with plenty of newcomers too.

Normal breakfast, oatmeal beneath,
all organic but the pineapple and banana.
The race is done in heats, each heat covering a range of finish times, such as 4:00 to 4:30 minutes.  Believe it or not, that heat was well populated.  My heat was 7:30 and up, the final heat of the day, and I finished about 7:35.  I knew I could run 8:00, because I had done it recently, and I hoped that I could run 7:00, but thought that unlikely.  Sure enough, the truth was in the middle.  It might help if I trained for that distance.  Anyway I’m happy, and now have a modern target to beat.  I HATE the mile race, it's so intense, but for some reason I actually enjoyed this one.

With about 1.5 miles of warmup, the total for the day was 2.5 miles.

Whining: My left foot cramped up when I got into the car.  Man I hate that.  In the car, there is no opportunity to stretch out the cramp, so you just have to wait for it to pass.  Then both calves cramped up that night, one at a time, but I stretched them out.

No comments: