Thursday, June 07, 2007

More Biking

Bicycle again today, 1 hour 50 minutes, distance unknown. The wind was an interesting factor, blowing hard from the south as thunderstorms and tornados began to invade Minnesota and western Wisconsin. White caps on Lake Woebegone. I started out south for several miles, lugging hard into that stiff wind, then looped around toward the west on mostly-wooded trails, exploring several new ones, and finally toward home, making good time with the wind at my back. I think the effort was roughly equivalent to running 10 min/mi, so the aerobic energy expenditure was perhaps the same as running 11 miles.

I would have gone farther but had some pain in my right knee, directly under the kneecap. It doesn’t feel like something that will be with me for long; I think it’s because I started out riding 40 miles last Sunday for my first real bike ride of the season. I don’t feel it when I walk, but it may keep me from biking any more before Grandma’s Marathon. Happily, there is still the elliptical machine at the club, in addition to water running in an actual lake.

Meanwhile, the foot feels GREAT, like I could run a marathon! That’s the cortisone talking, of course. I’m trying hard to do all of the things that the doctor recommended including ice, stretches, shoes with gel inserts, Strassburg sock, and walking softly. No running, and no bare feet. Nine days left until we cross the starting line; then all bets are off.

Chicken & broccoli dinner
Grilled free-range chicken marinated in lime juice, broccoli with organic lemon zest, organic parmesan cheese, blackberries. Estimate: Four Weight Watchers points.

No comments: