Saturday, June 09, 2007

Challenge Cancer 5k

My sweeties and I went to the Challenge Cancer 5k this morning, where Sunshine and Sweet Pea ran the race in a good time, and eight cancer survivors, including myself, were recognized for remaining athletically active while dealing with our cancers. I didn’t run this race, because Grandma’s Marathon is just a week away now and I want to give my plantar fasciitis the best possible chance to heal first. So I rode my bike a little and took pictures; what a beautiful day and a nice time.

Afterward we headed to the club, where I “ran” on the elliptical for 32 minutes at a rather hard pace, which I believe is the right thing to do one week before a marathon. The machine said 3.9 miles, but my heart rate was about 150 most of the time, indicating a faster pace than that.

The doctor actually suggested taking an anti-inflammatory before the marathon. I’m aware that other doctors might disagree, for several reasons, and that excess use of anti-inflammatories can threaten kidneys and liver, already threatened by the myeloma. So yesterday I tried taking one gram of curcumin, a natural anti-inflammatory with no known long-term risks, and today I took two grams, just to make sure that I don’t have any problems with it. So far so good - I think I’ll take two grams before the race next Saturday.

Catfish dinner
Catfish, pan-fried in 1 tsp organic butter, organic lemon, oven-roasted organic sweet potatoes, organic catsup, almonds, jicama, and Breckenridge Oatmeal Stout (not shown). Estimate: nine Weight Watcher points including three for the stout.

No comments: