Thursday, June 14, 2007

Glycogen Stores

Wouldn’t that be a great name for a sports-nutrition store? “Glycogen Store!” Anyway I used the elliptical machine again. In my modest understanding of running, this last “run” two days before the marathon (one day for some people) is largely to deplete glycogen stores, so that muscles and liver and other body parts will be hungry for carbohydrates tonight and tomorrow. Then the pasta dinner tomorrow night will top those off some more, and also leave carbs in the colon for possible use during the race.

400 calories burned today, roughly approximating a 3.4-mile run, in about 30 minutes.

I’m on pins and needles wondering if my plantar-fasciitis heel, untested in 18 days, will go the distance Saturday. Muscles are a second question. But today Bonnie at the club said “Enjoy the race!” Bonnie is always cheerful and supportive, but she is SO RIGHT! That’s exactly the best attitude going into a race as iffy as this one is for me. I’ll try to run with the 4:00 pace team, and I’ll have fun as long as I can. Thanks to Jim and my sweeties, so supportive, and to everyone else who has given encouragement.

Did you know that you can take the train to the Grandma’s Marathon start line? I’ve done it more than once, and it’s very nice, especially because there is a bathroom right on the train so there is no need to stand in line for the scarce porta-potties. Coffee too. Give ‘em a call at 1-800- 423-1273; they'll save a seat for you.


Wild-caught Canadian walleye, organic lemon, rice (mix of black, brown, and wild), watermelon. Estimated Weight Watchers points = 6.

No comments: