Monday, May 21, 2007

Plantar Fasciitis 2

Saturday the plantar fasciitis in my left foot felt OK an hour after the five-mile run, but it got worse during the day and was still worse Sunday, even though I didn’t run Sunday. Running seems to cause the inflammation to increase again; at least five miles of running does. But Grandma’s Marathon is looming just four weeks away, and I can’t run it on a foot as sore as this, so there’s a new plan: (1) No running until I wake up with NO pain; (2) then run only as long as there is no pain; then (3) repeat. Hopefully the running times will increase. Meantime continue the treatment plan described a week ago. Marathon conditioning will suffer, but them’s the breaks. Better to run it slow than not to run it at all.

Today my sweeties and I went to the club. They ran on the indoor track, and I cross-trained, mostly on the elliptical machine but also upper-body. Good workout; my arms and chest will be sore tomorrow; legs won't. I don’t know how much the elliptical machine will help in retaining running conditioning, but it won’t hurt.

Normal breakfast
From the bottom up: oatmeal, milk, blueberries, banana, strawberries, sugared ginger. All but the blueberries and banana are organic.

No comments: