Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Disappointment

Last night I hunted down a rubberized running track at the local Maryville Middle School, a few miles from the hotel. This morning was to be the first actual run in almost a week.

I drove to the school, arriving at 4:50 am, hoping to run until about 6:15 am. I even brought water and a gel. It’s a lovely quarter-mile track, black surface as if made from old tires, harder than my running shoes but softer than blacktop, open to the public when not in use by the school. Not another soul was in sight, of course, but plenty of eerie blue light from mercury vapor lamps on tall poles.

The first mile went fine, 8:46, nice pace. Easy running, no pain, 64 degrees, what could be better? But just after a mile and a half the left-foot plantar fasciitis started to hurt, enough that I finished the lap walking and drove back to the hotel. Rats. More pool running in my future; I hope I didn’t re-injure the foot. Right now it doesn’t feel like I hurt it much. I did buy soft inserts for my work boots last night, so hopefully it won't get any worse at work today. I do computer work, but for this client I need to walk through a heavy-manufacturing plant, requiring steel-toe boots, hard hat, safety glasses, and non-flammable clothing.
Greekish salad
Greg made the salad last night: Organic greens, artichoke hearts, beans, avocado, walnuts, asiago cheese.

No comments: