Thursday, May 24, 2007

Elliptical Machine

Today I just used the elliptical trainer to burn 500 calories, which for me is equivalent to about four miles. The machine showed 4.25 miles, actually. Not enough to be anywhere near a long "run," but I took almost twice the time limit that the club has on their machines. The left-foot plantar fasciitis didn’t hurt much, but enough to tell me not to run on it, not even on the treadmill.

Saturday a friend asked me if I was using ice and heat on the sore heel. I responded that I’m more of a fan of heat than I am of cold. But today, in the spirit of “what the heck?,” I did try an ice pack on the foot when I got home. Then I switched to heat. And it does feel a little better this afternoon than it did this morning or yesterday afternoon. I think.

Machine: Level 9, 160 to 170 strides per minute, just over 13 calories per minute, lowest angle. This worked well - I could continue at that energy level for a long time if nobody showed up needing that particular machine. Heart rate according to the machine was 127-130. I like that machine because it’s the only one in the club that can change its angle, so I can lower the angle to make it more like running.

Yesterday's dinner
Salmon bake with yogurt, peas, low-fat rice chips for crunch.

No comments: