Saturday, May 26, 2007

Elliptical Again

The left foot with plantar fasciitis was a little better this morning I think, maybe better than it has been since the Race for the Cure 5k two weeks ago. Nevertheless I want that foot to heal completely if possible, so I “ran” the elliptical machine again today rather than run with my Saturday morning group. I suppose Cap’n Randy was there this morning, fresh from his trip up the Mississippi, and if so I’m sorry I missed him. But my sweeties and I did pretty well at the club instead.

Lake Woebegone Rain Forest750 calories burned on two elliptical machines, equivalent to about six miles of actual running. The machines said 6.3 miles in total. One of the four Procor machines in the club allows me to lower the “ramp” so that I can “run” upright in a fairly normal motion without really having to hang on to anything with my hands. I like that the best because it simulates running more closely, and I spent most of the calories on that one. Level 9, 165-170 strides/minute, about 13.5 calories/minute. That level of effort results in a heart rate of 125-130, which is a heart rate that I can sustain for hours.

Yesterday’s exercise was mowing the lawn for 3.5 hours, using a human-propelled rotary mower. It’s really pretty good exercise!

Next week maybe some pool running.

No comments: