Sunday, February 11, 2007

Still Not 100%

Running:

NSP Community Center indoor track 4 mi in 37:52, pace 9:28. Splits: 9:35, 8:35, 9:15, 10:27. At first the left thigh hurt just a little, so I ran slowly. But then it seemed to settle down so I ramped up to marathon pace in mile two. But in mile three there was a sudden, sharp pain, as if something broke loose again. Since it didn’t hurt at a slower pace, I just slowed down for the rest of the run, and cut it from five miles to four. I hope I didn’t do more harm today. The next scheduled run is Tuesday, so I’ll find out then. Resolved: NO RUNNING AT A PACE FASTER THAN 10 MIN/MI until the marathon. Period. And walk every day, even on the no-run days.

Myeloma:

Thalidomide: No serious side effects yet. I do enjoy the nice sleep that it gives. Tomorrow I will get a baseline measurement of nerve function, so that when peripheral neuropathy does appear we can measure the actual changes. I’m also planning to get a skeletal survey, which is a set of x-rays of every bone in the body, to look for holes caused by the myeloma.

Whatever tomorrow brings, today is really a beautiful day. My thermometer says 28 degrees, after eleven straight days of below-zero mornings. The traces of snow left on the driveway are actually melting. That’s worth celebrating!

2 comments:

Audrey said...

Wow. That is some serious testing you have tomorrow. Take care. I am sending good thoughts.

Faithful Soles said...

Don, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Your running and entries in your blog are truly inspirational. I would be honored if you would consider linking it to a blog database I have on my web site. Each week I have a Runner of the Week, and 2 weeks ago there was a man who was 66 who had that honor and he did the Houston Marathon on January 14 on his birthday 6 years after having both kneecaps replaced (if you go to my main web site to "Runner of the Week", scroll down and select "Previous Runners of the Week" and you can find him there, his name is Steve Epps). Take care and God bless.