Thursday, July 12, 2007

Pain-free Bike Ride

Almost. No knee pain until nearly the end of a vigorous hour of riding, so perhaps I'm riding through that problem. I’m a runner, but in danger of being seduced by the bike. And much to my surprise, I find trail biking the most alluring. Today I rode my favorite dirt trail for a short distance, heading toward a soft ride on sleepy neighborhood streets. But as I passed the county park, it sort of sucked me in, and I rode the mowed-grass bike/hike/horse trails there instead.

These are a hilly, bumpy trails, lots of gear shifting and standing on the pedals. NOT boring, and of course the park scenery is exquisite. There is one high vista from which one can see at least a half dozen of the nearby towns. The view demands a brief stop and dismount. From there it’s a fast downhill ride, speed limited only by one's courage over the bumps, back to the paved trails of the park and then home again. Haven’t had that much fun on a bike since I was twelve.

Bratwurst lunch
Chicken/feta/spinach bratwurst, whole wheat bread, Roquefort mustard, blackcurrant jam, organic plum. Estimated Weight Watcher points = 7.

No comments: