Monday, July 02, 2007

160 Flights of Stairs

At 14 steps per flight, that’s 2,240 steps up and the same number down, in 40 minutes. Definitely not running, it’s actually only four round trips per minute. Nevertheless it got my heart rate up to 140, and breathing was similar to running 9-minute miles. For Weight Watcher purposes I calculate 12 points (600 calories) per hour, but that may be a bit low. I wore running shoes for cushioning and grip.P.F. Arch Brace

The left heel with plantar fasciitis ached a little; I’m icing it now and using the P.F. Arch Brace that Mary gave me. The jury is still out on the brace, though it does feel good; I'm still doing the stretches and wearing the Strassburg Sock. The right knee, which hurts under the kneecap when I ride the bike long enough, started to hurt early on but settled down.

Years ago I did stairs quite a lot, as cross-training, but stopped because it put too much pressure on the hip flexors when combined with running and other cross-training. More running worked better then. Now, though, since I’m not running at all, stairs are a very convenient aerobic exercise. All I really need are shoes and a sweatband, though modesty demands more.

Plum pistachio oatmeal breakfast
Bottom up: Organic oatmeal, organic milk, blueberries, blackberries, organic strawberries, organic plum, pistachios. Estimated Weight Watcher points = 5.

No comments: