Sunday, April 01, 2007

Twenty Cool Miles

Cool, breezy run, rain threatened but didn’t materialize. Because of the questionable weather, I ran five different four-mile routes, each startingAbout 3/4 inch of rain the night before this runand ending at our mailbox. It’s less interesting than a cross-country jaunt, but allows for easy acess to water and fuel without having to lug those with me or drive around planting them along the route. Just as important, it allows for a way out if the weather becomes unacceptable. Thankfully it didn’t, and in fact it was pretty good weather for running.

Temperature was 43 degrees with a stiff southeast breeze. I wore gloves, but nevertheless had trouble opening the Clif Shot gel packets on the run because my hands were too cold to get a good grip. Teeth were required, and both hands, without gloves. Otherwise I was warm enough in shorts and two shirts. My pace should have been a bit faster though, considering the breathing rate. I know that cold can slow a runner down; perhaps I should have worn tights.

Speedy friend Jim joined in for the last eight miles. That was nice. My pace improved significantly at that point, no surprise. He’s good for me. My sweeties were also running part of the same route, so we passed each other once. They’re good for me too.Eagle Momma and Sweet Pea coming in for water and fuel

Pace for the 4-mile segments: 8:53, 9:00, 9:01, 8:27, 8:09. Because I mis-remembered the detail of one of the segments, the actual total distance was slightly short at 19.7 miles, in 2:51:37, overall pace 8:43. Water and Clif Shot every 4 miles. Breathing was four footfalls per full breath until Jim joined me, then mostly three footfalls.

One more 20-miler in two weeks, and then taper for the Avenue of the Giants Marathon in early May. Eagle Momma and I will run that marathon, with Sweet Pea, two days after our 44th wedding anniversary. That’s a nice gift to each other.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice repord Don -- Dad

Nat said...

I'm jealous that you didn't get any rain...it rained all day here in the western suburbs so no running today! Great job on your run.