Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Such a Pleasurable Run

I will never stop running as long as it can be this enjoyable. I ran medium-long on my favorite trail along the railroad that goes through the town of Lake Woebegone, mostly quiet and solitary, cool and a little breezy. I saw a covey of eight wild turkeys on the trail, ambling into the woods as I approached, the big tom lagging behind to protect the hens. Lots of deer tracks, and bird calls of all sorts, especially the red-winged blackbirds trying to keep warm in the half-frozen marshes. An owl flew silently out of a tree near the tracks. I had to cross a few roads, but didn't have to run along them. I ran farther west than I have gone before, and, to my surprise, actually found the end of the service road that is “my” trail. There the single track splits into two parallel tracks, apparently ending the need for a service road.

At one point I passed a railroad guy, working on the signals. He glared. On the way back I stopped, out of curiosity, to peek inside the signal equipment boxes that he had open (lots of big batteries). “Can I help you?” he challenged. I said that I loved this road along the railroad track and was disappointed to find the end of it. “You know,” he grumped, “the railroad frowns on people being on their property. Trains can’t stop quick.” I considered several responses. “Thank you for the warning,” I smiled. His face softened. “You’re welcome,” he said. We understood each other. He had done his job, and I turned and kept on chugging. Of course he’s right, but if the railroad was particularly concerned about this service road there would be “No Trespassing” signs at strategic points. There are none anywhere.

The best part: on the way home two freight trains came toward me, only a mile or so apart, each quite long with three engines, whistling at each crossroad and finally thundering past. I love that, diesel fumes and all. The engineers waved.

Run: 13.7 miles in 2:13:31, pace 9:45. Ouch, not very fast. But I did take time off here and there, once with the RR guy and also for a major potty break, and I never stopped my watch. Furthermore, this trail is mostly soft and therefore demands a little extra time. More important, I don’t care how fast it was; the slower pace is doubtless part of what made this run so pleasurable. Breathing was mostly four footfalls per full breath, so I was working hard enough.

2 comments:

Jean said...

Sounds like a wonderful run, Don. Seeing lots of wildlife is always a pleasure. And the trains certainly made things exciting, I am sure!

Have a great weekend!

Dori said...

You write beautifully, Don. I saw a turkey in the road during a run in Eden Prairie last Monday. I felt lucky to be able to live in an area where I can experience that kind of wildlife.