Sunday, August 27, 2006

Sun 2006 Aug 27, 20.3-mile run, 67 deg

RR, 96, I-94, Neal, Legion 20.3-miler, 3:01:40, pace 8:57. Not blazing fast! But good enough for this difficult route. I love this route, because of the varied footing and scenery, and the major hills. About six miles are alongside a railroad track, on a little two-rut service road. It's a mixed blessing, with the rut nearest the track fairly clear of weeds but littered with 2-inch rocks which fall down from the track bed. The other rut is mostly clear of rocks but weedy against the legs. Both ruts slow me down, but I love it nevertheless. A train came by as I ran, rattling past so close I could have touched it, making a wind (on a windless day) that nearly took my visor off. Some of this part was in dense fog today. The remainder of the route is on paved roads and trails, hilly and without a lot of shade. The sun was relentless. The temp ranged from 61 to 73, but felt hotter; my face feels toasted afterward even though it was already tan. Dew point was 61, accounting for the fog. I ran every hill, slowing to a walk only to take water every two miles or so. Took four Clif Shot gels too, two with caffeine. Took no salt this time. I feel great now, afterward, just tired muscles and no pain. The left knee hurt a little at the start, but that went away. No pains! Stomach OK so far; I did try to relax my gut muscles during the run from time to time.


My stomach wasn’t upset after this run like it often is. Why is that? Some possible reasons: 1) I didn’t have any food for over 10 hours before the run; 2) I didn’t eat anything for at least an hour after the run; 3) I didn’t even drink a lot immediately after; 4) I did drink plenty during the run.


My friend & competitor LS ran an excellent time in yesterday's Rochester Half Marathon. Good for him! About 16 seconds faster than my fastest HM this year. I have very mixed feelings about missing the race, but I sure did enjoy my grandson yesterday.


No comments: