Tuesday, August 02, 2016

125 Miles This Month


Sunday, July 31, 2016:

I’m a little surprised, through all of the fuss about possible heart problems (none found) and a very recent colonoscopy (no problems) I apparently just kept running, a little every day and a little more on some days.

Today I had a wonderful 12-mile run, heading south and east to the river, then north along it all the way through the city, west again on the Zephyr trail, and south to home.  This included paved and unpaved trails, sidewalks, some roads, parking lots, bridges, and one highway.

I traveled past shopping malls, neighborhoods of houses and condos new and old, parks, beautiful vistas with park benches, deep woods, river banks, the city’s downtown, and construction sites.  The total elevation excursion was almost 300 feet from highest to lowest and back, with a fair amount of up/down in between.

I took two Clif Shot gels along the way.  Though I found plenty of porta-potties along the way, I didn’t come across any fresh water.  Happily I was carrying a 16-ounce bottle, and finished it well before arriving home.

Really good food afterward

No problems on this run, none at all.  In fact I had intended to take a shortcut home from downtown, but I felt great and kept going on the bigger loop.  This is a new run for me, and I’m sure I’ll be doing it again.  In fact, I have some ideas about how to extend it a bit, make it a few miles longer yet without running too much on high-speed highways.  We moved here a couple of years ago, and I’m finally starting to expand horizons.

No comments: