Thursday, February 28, 2008

Masterpiece Already

Thursday, February 28:

I started off rather gingerly on the NSPCC indoor track, but experienced no pain, so I accelerated to a modest 9 min/mi pace and finished four easy miles.

NO PROBLEMS of any kind! Adductors, achilles tendon, and knee all silent. I expected the adductors to start squawking at any moment, but it almost seemed as if everything got smoother as I went along. Today the track was counter-clockwise, as the UWRF track was when the adductor injury occurred, but this track is banked slightly on the corners and that may make all the difference. I do believe that I can start building up to a decent weekly mileage again, but avoiding UWRF on counter-clockwise days for a while. And as Kel suggests, I need to set up some regular exercises and stretches for those adductors as soon as that can be done without pain. Her blog has some ideas.

Time 36:48, pace 9:12, splits 9:49, 8:59, 9:00, 9:00. Breathing: five footfalls per full breath nearly all the way, then four. I feel great!

Tuesday, February 26:

I ran half a lap (1/27 mile) and felt some pull in the left adductors, so I stopped and burned up 500 calories on step machines and rowing machines, avoiding the elliptical this time to favor the achilles tendon. Next time I need to bring a butt-pad for the rowing machine because I don’t have enough built in and the machine has almost none. Ouch.


Today's breakfast
This morning's post-run breakfast: Organic oatmeal, Don's fruit/berry/nut mix, macadamia nuts, organic blueberries, banana, organic fat-free milk, Hershey's dark chocolate, pure organic pomegranate juice.

Last night's dinner
Yesterday's lunch: Organic salad greens, organic celery, organic low-fat cottage cheese, macadamia nuts, avocado, pistachios, cantaloupe, organic red wine vinegar.

Yesterday's lunch
Yesterday's dinner: Wild-catch Alaskan salmon with organic yogurt, clementine, organic peas. Back for more salmon & peas and I had an organic apple too.

2 comments:

Susan said...

WOW -- I'll be at your place to eat ASAP! :)

Progressive Head said...

Hi Don!!

Congratulations on your diet, I just have something to say...
you know, you could *easily* go vegetarian!! The amount of fruit, vegetables, dried fruits you eat, you could very easily not eat the chicken or the salmon and just go along with vegetable protein food, like soy milk (non fat, no cholesterol, high in protein and calcium), tofu, etc! Hell, by the amount of dried fruits you eat, you easily have the amoiunt of aminoacids that your body needs. B12 is almost a myth! Variety is the key.

keep it up!!