Sunday, January 20, 2008

Whooee - Life Is Good

Don starting the second lap of the 400mToday we three went to Bethel University again for another set of indoor-track races. I had not run since Wednesday, because of the Achilles tendon problem, and was not at all sure that I could race today. But after a mile and a half of warmup the Achilles tendon was still silent, so I registered for the 200, 400, and 800 meter races again.

Times are up now:

Race      Dec 16      Jan 01     Today
200m 35.3 34.634.5
400m1:19.21:19.4 1:16.4
800m 3:01.3 2:56.42:50.6
Walk   12:27.0

So I improved my best 400m by about three seconds and my best 800 by about six seconds. Cool! Today is already a masterpiece.

Gosh I love that kind of racing. The pain is over so quickly! :-) And, in fact, for the 200m and 400m there just isn't enough time for deep muscle exhaustion to really set in. The 200m is best of all, because it's basically flat out for the whole distance. Conserve NOTHING, leave it ALL on the track! And I know that I can do better at that distance, because the 200m race was my first today and I was pretty careful at the start.

Next: Build up carefully to the long runs again, build mileage judiciously, stopping at the first hint of that Achilles pain.

2 comments:

Gregg said...

I can understand and feel your pain. I too had bad luck with the achilles last year. (cost me the whole year) It sounds like you are pretty in tune with your body and you did the right thing by resting. There are these exercises for the calves/achilles that I had been given when I was being treated. You can usually google them "achilles tendonitis/ tendonosis exercises. They are actually performed on a step, toes on the step and you bounce, Yah I know it sounds wrong, letting your heel drop below the level and repeat up to 50 times.
If you have trouble finding them on the web just email or post here and I will send you a link.
best wishes.
Gregg

Joseph said...

Hi Don,

Great racing this winter on the track. Its always a nice reward to see the times droping and knowing the hard training is paying off.
Take it easy on the achilles for a week. Practice R.I.C.E. on it and easy stretching when ever you get a chance. If you dont already have one, look into "The Stick" and work on messaging the calfs.

I'll be at the Challenge Hearts Feb 17th, See ya there.

Joseph