Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Achilles Tendon Still Hurts

Wednesday, Jan 23:

North St Paul Community Center indoor track, three miles in 26:19. As on Monday, I intended to run long and was prepared with water and gels, but the Achilles heel started to hurt again so I stopped at three miles. Nuts. I’ll try some stretches, exercises, cold and heat to try to heal it, and will wait more than two days again before running. Splits 8:52, 8:37, 8:51.

Yesterday we went to the Community Center too. I did the elliptical for a while, then upper-body resistance training. But no running.

Monday, Jan 21:

Stillwater Bubble today, I hoped to run 12 miles but didn’t want to reinjure the Achilles tendon, which I may have annoyed a bit yesterday with those short, intense races, even if it didn’t hurt. I started to feel it after three miles, so I just quit. Next try will be Wednesday, with 16 miles on the schedule. Again, I’ll stop as soon as it hurts or at 16 miles, whichever comes first.

After the run today I tried my naturopath’s suggestion of alternating cold and heat on the Achilles tendon. I believe in the heat more than the cold, because we all know that extremeties need warmth to heal. Nevertheless, virtually all sources suggest alternate cold and heat, and this naturopath is the first person to convince me to get serious and try it. We’ll see. I’ll try it again tonight.


Salad
Recent salad: Organic salad greens, avocado, Maytag blue cheese, organic blue corn chips, roasted pistachios, raspberry vinegar. Oh yeah!

6 comments:

Adam said...

Hi Don,
I ran across your blog through another runner's page and wanted to say hello. Your food pics look incredibly good! Would you mind giving me the "Don's nut/fruit/berry" recipe? Thanks!

Nice job on the track PRs!

Kel said...

Sorry to hear about the pesky Achilles - do you know what's causing it to get riled up? I only had mine flare up after I broke a toe on that foot. Caused a chain reaction that inhibited the soleus muscle - once I figured that out I was able to deal with it properly and permanently fix the problem in about 2 weeks. Best wishes!

PS> Reading your blog makes me hungry :)

Mindi said...

Hey Don! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Yes, Grand Rapids was awesome!

I too love all the food shots - makes me hungry!

The track workouts looks so much fun. I wish I had a track close to me.

Good luck with the achilles. I battled that injury for quite a while. The only thing that solved it for me was switching shoes. The old ones apparently were not giving me enough stability.

Adam said...

Don,

No I don't stop for 90 seconds as prescribed in Hadd's document. I believe the primary reason for the pause was due to the fact that they didn't have the combination devices that allow you to simply hit Lap and continue recording.

Another phenomenon I haven't mentioned in my blog is the recruitment of different muscle fibers at different speeds. As each new level begins, they effort temporarily becomes easier due to what I believe to be new, fresh, muscle fibers being recruited. Unfortunately that sensation dissipates rather quickly;)

Good luck, looking forward to hearing your results!

Adam said...

Hi Don,

I'm not sure what part of MN you guys live, but if you're anywhere near the SW suburbs there is a group run next Saturday. The Richard T Anderson nature conservatory, you'll see it as RTA all over my blog, is a trail run that a group of us do occasionally. The loop is about 5miles. It has some pretty extreme hills, so remember that when making your decision. Could be tough on a sore achilles if it hasn't healed up. It's in Eden Prairie off of Hwy 212. Either 5am or 7am start times, I'll be back at the parking area for both times to lead people around for their first loop. We all bring some type of food for after the run...good times. If you're interested let me know and I'll give you better directions.

Kel said...

I have some pictures of one of our group runs in November at RTA on my blog if you want a visual - post is RTA Fat Ass.