Sunday, January 13, 2008

Three Dinners

Saturday, January 12:

So this was an experiment to see how closely I could stick to a pace of 9:00 minutes/mile. Not for any particular reason - just for fun. Running indoors at the N St Paul Community Center because of my cold, I needed a nice easy five miles like I would have done with my Saturday morning St Croix Valley runners. Splits: 9:00, 8:59, 8:59, 8:59, 9:01. Total 44:58, pace 9:00. The secret to holding the pace this close is that there are 13.5 laps for every mile, and every full lap is a checkpoint on the watch.

Again the cold seems a little better today. Continuing the same traditional remedies. Sweet Pea says I smell like a cough drop, but I think more like wintergreen lifesavers. Personally I like it, and it’s almost nice to have an excuse to smell like that. But the others in my house may be glad when my cold is gone. Except maybe kitty, who really doesn’t seem to notice. She's long since given up trying to figure out humans anyway.


Three recent dinners:
Friday dinner
Friday dinner: Super-hearty chicken soup by Sunshine, with an organic chicken and scads of mostly-organic veggies. The generously-applied pepper helps make it work against a cold, and a glass of organic pomegranite juice helps too.

Saturday dinner
Saturday dinner: Wild-caught Alaskan salmon with organic shallots and organic lemon juice, organic chard with onions, cranberries, and pistachios, organic dates, organic green peas, clementine. One of my favorite meals of all time, I went back for seconds and thirds. Gosh that was good! And to think that not so long ago I didn't really even LIKE salmon!

Tonight's dinner
Sunday dinner: Two different kinds of squash with seasoning, kiwi, gluten-free almond-raisin bread slathered with organic peanut butter, organic broccoli.

No comments: