Saturday, December 18, 2010

Running In The Snow

Saturday, Dec 18, 2010:

Four stalwart souls showed up to run with the St Croix Valley Runners before dawn in 10 degree weather. I intended to run some races the next day, so I shortened the usual 5-mile route and ran fairly slowly. Two others ran out ahead of me, and one stayed back and walked.

I had planned to run a particular 3.5-mile route, but after a mile and a half I thought "Why am I slip/sliding this 70-year-old chassis all alone over the ice and snow on the shoulder of a major road with cars and trucks roaring by in semi-darkness at 60 mph?" I just turned around and came back to my car.

3.0 miles in about 30 minutes. Back safely, no problem with the hamstring today, good enough.

Friday, Dec 17:

We arrived at the Stillwater Bubble at about 11:00 am, to find ourselves alone there. The crowd shows up early in the morning, and by eleven they’re all gone. Most of the people are walkers, but usually there is at least one other runner. Today I just ran four easy miles, trying to stay loose and not annoy the sore hamstring.

Wednesday, Dec 15:

Stillwater Bubble again. This time I added some strides to the usual run/walk, taking one long side much faster than the other three sides. The hamstring felt a little better again, but I still didn’t push the strides to a full-out sprint. Nevertheless it felt great to change the pace a bit. About 48 minutes, probably about 4.8 miles.


Breakfast. I don't use these photos twice - I do eat a lot of good breakfasts:

No comments: