Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Silent Running

Not always a good thing. The Brooks Launch shoes are very quiet - one of the many things I like about them. Unfortunately though, they were too quiet Tuesday. On a lonely trail in the park I ran up behind a woman with two dogs. I thought she could hear me coming, but just in case, I said “hello” when I got near, maybe 15 feet behind her. But she hadn’t heard me, and apparently I had gotten too close, because she was very startled. Frightened. I don’t like to do that to people. I wish I could whistle while I run, or even sing, but no can do. I’ll announce myself farther away next time I guess.

Good run though. This was a recovery run after Sunday’s 18-miler, and could have been an easy run, but I felt really good and went faster than intended. 3.5 miles in 29:30, for a pace of 8:43. Huh. That's faster than my latest 5k race. It’s a masterpiece!

Breakfast after a nice run. The blueberries are frozen ones, just pour a few into a strainer and wash in cold water (gets the ice off), then right into the bowl.

1 comment:

Chris Swenke said...

In the past 6 months to a year I have been working on running lighter both mentally and physically. I find that it is easier on the body and mind.

I don't think I purposely try to scare people but do feel a sense of accomplishment when they are bit startled. I have found that coming up a dog and having them not hear you is the holy grail of silent running.

Sneak away -