Sunday, March 14, 2010

Good Long Run

Sunday, March 14, 2010:

Gauss and I ran 18.4 miles on hilly local roads, starting in a 35-degree fog and ending in the 55-degree bright sun. Actually, Gauss ran 13.5 and stopped to meet another commitment, and I ran another five. We didn’t go fast - neither of us could, actually, and we slowed several times for water, a few hills, and once for a long woods break. So the overall pace was slow, but represents what we could have done in a race today.

I was able to go a little faster during my solo five miles, because I didn’t have to stop for anything. No pains, no problems. Whereas I ran out of gas trying to go just 12 miles last week, I really had no problem with 18 this week, could have kept going, and didn’t feel unusually tired afterward. I can’t account for the difference, but it’s a masterpiece!

Splits: 2:45:18 (13.5 mi, pace 12:15), 54:12 (5.0 mi, pace 10:50), 3:39:30 total (18.4 mi, overall pace 11:56). At that overall pace a marathon would take 5 hours & 13 minutes, which is about what it has taken me lately. Huh. At the pace of the last five miles, a marathon would take four hours and 44 minutes. I doubt I can do that in the next few months, but it’s a good goal.

In fact, I just realized that my Boston-qualifying time has increased from 4:15 to 4:30, if I aimed for the 2011 Boston Marathon, because I’ll be 70 by then. I don’t intend to run Boston, but BQ is a good goal and it’s been a couple of years since I have done it. If the cancer stays stable, I may eventually be able to build that much speed back. Another 20-miler next week!

Saturday, march 13, 2010:

St Croix Valley Runners, Northland Tennis Courts in Stillwater, 7:00 am, as always. This time I ran with Gauss, while Dave and George jogged along behind and several others went out ahead. WAY ahead, it seemed, out of sight even. We finished the five miles in 47:05, well behind them.

Cool, foggy morning, trails mostly clear of ice, gravel roads soft and muddy.

Thursday, March 11, 2010:

Four miles in the Stillwater Bubble. I felt better than I did Tuesday, but not quite all the way back yet. I ran OK, kept the pace faster than 10:00 per mile. Good enough.


Normal breakfast. Mostly organic, oatmeal underneath.

1 comment:

Amytrigirl (aka Amybee) said...

great 18 miler! Funny how some runs are just torture and some are pure gifts.

Deeeee licious looking breakfast!