Saturday, October 24, 2009

What a Bike Rack!

I spent the whole day measuring the Team Ortho Half Marathon and 10-Mile races for certification, sunup to sundown. Despite horrendous traffic on a lovely Saturday I got it done, except the final paint marks for some of the splits. It's a beautiful course, by the way, around lakes Harriet and Calhoun, and out and back on Minnehaha Parkway (different roadways). The races are next Saturday, October 31.

When it got too dark to work any more I headed home, bike on the rack behind, traveling north on I-35, intending to turn east on I-94.

Suddenly lots of brake lights flashed ahead, and the cars in front were stopping. I kept a decent space between my car and the one ahead, but heard tires squealing behind. That noise seemed to go on forever, and then BAM, I felt my head hit the headrest.

I was in the right-most lane anyway, and pulled over on the shoulder. Cars passed by on the left, and I suddenly realized that the sombitch who hit me was in one of those cars! Worse, I didn't know which car it was. Hit and run.

I called 911 immediately, to be informed that another driver had already called in the license number of the hit-and-run driver. Yay! I waited a few minutes on the shoulder, chomping a Clif bar, and 911 called back to say that a trooper had stopped the hit-and-run car. Double yay! Since my car seemed to be drivable, I should go home, and the trooper would call me later.

I did and he did. That call felt strange, though, because he wanted me to tell my story from the beginning, as if he hadn't already stopped the other driver and as if he wasn't even sure that I had been in an accident. But I answered his questions, and hope he calls back. I'd like to know three things: (1) How do I get some documentation for insurance; (2) Who hit me; and (3) Who is the good Samaritan who helped catch him? Thank-yous are in order here. If the trooper doesn't call back, I'll have to try to rustle up that information tomorrow.

Now about the bike rack: We bought this from Nashbar years ago. It's a "hitch rack," plugging into the aftermarket hitch on our little Saturn coupe and supporting up to three bikes. It's seriously bent up, and I think that it took most of the impact. The car is damaged slightly, with a broken rear bezel and marks on the bumper. The bike has bent pedals, and it's clear that one of the pedals did the damage to the car's bezel. But I'm amazed that the damage wasn't worse, and I think the sturdy little bike rack saved both the car and the bike from more-costly damage. I wonder how the hitch is - tomorrow we'll take a good look in the daylight.

I wish I could tell you where to get that bike rack, because I want an exact replacement for this one. Unfortunately, though, it seems that Nashbar has discontinued this model. It's always been a great bike rack - doesn't interfere with the trunk at all with three bikes on it. Maybe I'll see if it can be fixed - I'm kind of attached to it!

2 comments:

Nat said...

Oh Don! So glad you are okay! And, before I forget to mention it, thank you for measuring the course! With regard to finding out who hit you, I actually do personal injury (I'm a paralegal, sorry if this sounds like an advertisement - it's not) But, you can call the Minnesota State Patrol and they can look up your name and if the incident report is filed, they can find it. The may gave you what is called an ICR or incident report number and this is equivalent to a case number which is what you may need if you call in again. You can get a copy mailed to you as well by the State Patrol. I believe it is around $5 for a copy of the report. Your insurance company should reimburse you. Let me know if you have any other questions. I am so glad you are okay!

Don said...

Thanks, Nat. The trooper did call back, several times. The hit-and-run driver is Rick Austin Smith, who has a previous record.

He was charged for these offenses by the City of Minneapolis, and there is some chance that he will get a reduced sentence in exchange for restitution. At this moment, we don't yet know how much that would be.