Saturday, February 07, 2009

Brooks Summon Shoe Review

I have used Brooks Burn shoes almost exclusively for the past six years, not only for training but hundreds of races including 32 marathons. Since Brooks discontinued the Burn, I've searched for a replacement. I need a cushioned shoe, average width, little more. So far I've stuck to Brooks shoes, because I like the fit. Today I tried out their newest shoe for neutral biomechanically-efficient runners, the Summon.Click to enlarge, BACK to return here I found them for $60 on Amazon.com, though it seems the price has since gone up a lot. Today I tested them for a few laps, on an indoor track to keep them new in case I needed to return them, comparing them with a pair of Brooks Burns and a pair of Brooks Ghosts, all size 11 1/2. I ran laps in each model of shoe, and more laps with one model on one foot and another model on the other. Here are some results:

  • Weight: All three pairs are within an ounce of the same weight, 24 to 25 ounces for both shoes.
  • Size: The Summon is about the same as the Burn, and larger than the Ghost, which for some reason is undersized.
  • Fit: This is why I want to stick with Brooks - I have almost no blisters or other fit problems with the Burns. When I put on the Summons, I could feel the heel sliding up and down a bit. So I threaded the laces into the very last holes, as I do with the Burns, and the heel felt properly snug.
  • Shape:
    • Toe Box: Not as wide as the Burn, or so it appears, and certainly not as wide as the Ghost. But it didn't bother my foot in this short run.
    • Heel: The heel is long! It comes a full inch farther forward, toward the arch, than does the heel of the Burn. Perhaps this replaces the Burn's "lateral arch pod," absent on the Summon and the Ghost.
    • Sole: Like the Burn, the sole of the Summon curves gently toward the toe to allow a smooth transition.
    • Width: Fine.
  • Tread: Very aggressive, as if the shoe was designed for the track, or maybe for trail running! It also has hundreds of small crevices that will collect tiny rocks which I will no doubt track into the house. Or they will drop from one shoe into the other as I run. That's just dumb design. The first Burns were like that too, but the tread design improved as the original Burn went to Burn II and Burn III.
  • Color: Black, white, lime. Who cares.
  • Cushioning: Well cushioned according to my feet and the finger-poke test. At least as responsive as the Burns too, though to be fair these Burns have 187 miles on them and the Summons have none.
  • Ride: Very smooth. Unlike the Ghosts, they make very little slapping noise on the track, and they certainly aren't even broken in yet. The transition from heel-strike to toe-off seems very smooth, as good as the Burn.
  • Manufacture: Made in China like everything else.
I wish Brooks was more runner-centric rather than marketing-centric. I don't think they entertain genuine input from real runners, actual customers, even though they supposedly have lots of runners in the company. Here are a few examples of what I mean:
  • The shoe treads with little crevices that pick up small stones don't do any good and can be simpler and less expensive;
  • The descriptions of the shoes are so generic (e.g. "built for the neutral, biomechanically efficient runner who wants to go fast") that they provide little guidance. Is that for a mid-foot striker? Heel striker? Marathoner? Occasional runner? High-mileage? What neutral runner doesn't want to go fast?
  • The Ghost turns out to be a half-inch shorter than the Burn or the Summon. What's that? Surely they can make shoes the right size. Did they do that so that the shoes would seem just a little lighter when compared size-for-size? Anyway the Summon appears to be sized correctly.
Brooks is probably no worse than any of the other companies, but the prize will go to the company that really is customer-centric.

By the way, I wrote to Brooks to get more guidance and was told that the Summon would not be similar to the Burn at all. I was encouraged to wait for the Launch, another new model to be introduced in July. But since the Launch isn't here, I bought the Summons anyway.

So far I've run less than a mile in them. I'll probably post a little more when I have some real miles on them, but that will be a few weeks at least.

If you have a question or an opinion about these shoes, please do leave a comment. Thank you.

Click to enlarge, BACK to return here

Click to enlarge, BACK to return here

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Don,

I'm just researching the Summon and I agree with everything you said with regards to manufacturer description. I look forward to reading how you get on.

Cottchick said...

Don I was looking around at reviews of this shoe and yours is so comprehensive and well suited to the runner, thank you. Serena

Unknown said...

I've been running cross country for 6 years, high school and now at Saint Francis University. I've always ran Nike, but when I decided to switch to this shoe, I developed stress fractures just a month later. I've now been off of running for 8 weeks and hoping to restart training soon for the fall. I've never had any running injuries until this. I do not recommend this shoe.

Don said...

Sorry to hear that Mitch. I've now put well over 300 miles on my Summons with no more problems than I've had with other shoes. Everyone is different I guess.

But the Summon is not my long-term choice. They're OK for training and trail running, but I think the old Burns are faster and I want that.

Des said...

Love you blog.

Loved the rounder toe box of the Burns. The Summons are a bit too pointy for me but not much else wrong with it.

Currently alternating the Brooks Launch, NB 758 and NB 769. Just did a half marathon in the Launch without any issues.

Barrett C said...

I had Shin splints for 2.5 months running less than 5 miles a week before i bought these. The second i laced these up, i could feel the pain start to dissipate. I wear these all day, just walk into the gym or onto the track and start running, I must say, ive never loved running this much before. The arch support is amazing and the sole is soft and cushioned, and i actually like the feeling of gripping the track with this tread. Im sorry this does not live up to the Burn, must have been an amazing shoe, this is my first pair of Brooks.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the input. I was having trouble figuring out which of Brooks' catagorys these shoes fit into (neutral, guidance, support, control). I couldn't find them on their website. That's what makes me agree with you that Brooks tends to focus on marketing. They never make the model of shoe I like for very long. Five years ago it was the vapor, two years ago it was the axiom. I hate having to figure out which model to switch to next. However, I've been running for 17 years and I've only had problems with shoes when I've strayed from the Brooks brand. It's gotten to the point where I almost don't even bother trying on a pair of 11.5 brooks running shoes. I know how they'll feel. I don't know how well you liked the summons but I found them here for cheap. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Product.aspx?baseno=1880Y&plp=Brooks_Summon_Running_Shoes_-_For_Men&utm_source=Shopping&utm_medium=PaidShopping&utm_term=Brooks_Summon_Running_Shoes_-_For_Men&utm_campaign=PCSHOPPINGUS9&codesProcessed=true

Don said...

I ended up liking the new Brooks Launch bettere than either the Summon or the Ghost. It's a light trainer like the Burn, just enough shoe to let my feet do what feet are supposed to do, but still protect them from the road surface.

-- Don

Unknown said...

i used brooks for the first time in my life yesterday and i felt great with these summon product. actually i intended for 22 minutes jog and ended under 20 with no great effort. i'am overweight and never used anything so comfortable

erodda said...

Have long appreciated your running, and other blogs. I mean who else posts such great photos of such scrumptious food?!?
I've been a Brooks lover for years, and boy is it tough when they discontinue. I really really loved a shoe called the Magnum- it toed off perfectly for me, and I ran my best in them.
Have always found Hydro-Flow the best cushioning system. Currently running in the Defyance, including on lots of trails here in Colorado.
Well, keep up the good work, and healthy living.
Best Regards,