Sunday, January 11, 2009

Zoom! Yah! Yah! Indoor Marathon

We drove to Northfield to spectate at the Zoom! Yah! Yah! Indoor Marathon and run a few miles on the downstairs 200 m track while the marathoners collected their 150 laps above. It worked very well indeed - we were rooting for blogger ShirleyPerly and a few others that we knew or got to know, and we would see them about twice each lap. Lots of cheering. That marathon sounds like it would be such a tedious snore, but in fact it’s a lot of fun, with only 40 runners who see each other and the highly supportive lap counters many times over as the morning unwinds. There’s a marvelous spirit in that building. We ran it a couple of yers ago, and really enjoyed spectating today.

The lap counters are the St Olaf College women’s track team.

Unfortunately for me, though, I started to pull an adductor muscle after a couple of miles. It hurt even to run a straight line, so I stopped running immediately. I hope it isn’t badly injured. The same thing happened about this time last year while running on oval rubber tracks - I’m not sure why. It’s clearly an overuse injury, but I’m not sure exactly how I’m overusing it. Last year, though, I tried to keep on running and probably injured the adductor more than I should have, far more than today. I’ll come up with a plan for getting past it. Sigh.

Walking didn’t hurt, so I walked a few more miles with Sunshine and Sweet Pea. And cheered.

Great to see ShirlyPerly in person. We had a nice chat after the race. She is a VERY good runner, even ran negative splits! And we enjoyed her company, brief as it was. Godspeed and a safe trip home, Shirley.


Zoom! Yah! Yah! Indoor Marathon
Don, Shirley, Sweet Pea, Sunshine

1 comment:

ShirleyPerly said...

Great to see you, Sunshine and Sweet Pea. What a fun race this was -- most certainly more fun than you would think running 150 laps would be!!

I hope we have a chance to meet up at another future race. Thanks for the cheers, coffee and company afterwards.