Monday, January 05, 2009

Woofed Again

Seven miles on DEX (dexamethasone) day. I was supposed to run those miles yesterday, but the right quads hurt too much and I stopped after one mile. I wouldn’t choose to run much on DEX day because the DEX prevents muscles from properly replenishing their gluten supply from the blood, but today I had to do the miles in order to stick to the schedule of 30 miles for the week.

That schedule shows 10 miles tomorrow and seven Thursday, but perhaps I’ll reverse that. The ten-miler will be done at a nine-minute pace if possible. I’ll feel stronger tomorrow and Thursday. Today the right quads hurt just a little at the start, and I was prepared to stop again, but after a mile or two the pain disappeared. I felt good, too, for the first three miles. Then breathing went from four to three footfalls per full breath (two out, one in) and stayed there, indicating a race pace. I was obliged to slow down, and my legs are REALLY tired.

Splits: 8:51, 8:47, 8:52, 9:02, 9:12, 9:18, 9:24, total 1:03:27, pace 9:04.



Normal winter breakfast: Gluten-free oatmeal with dried cranberries, blueberries, organic walnuts, banana, 85% dark chocolate, and fat-free organic milk. Not shown: Two eggs fried over easy in a tad of coconut oil. Unlike previous years, blueberries have so far been available all winter at Sam's and Costco, though not organic ones. Strawberries have been patchy - we only eat organic ones so we don't find them often. No nectarines, peaches, plums, mango, or any of the other delectable seasonal fruits. Pineapple is quite available - I should probably have more pineapple. Kiwi too, except it tends to curdle the milk :-)

2 comments:

crossn81 said...

This article made me think of you... http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/08/health/nutrition/08fitness.html

Don said...

That's a cool story