Friday, May 09, 2014

Grass Trails Beckon

Friday, May 9, 2014:

I think they're ready, perhaps a little muddy in spots, but I could enjoy them.  Not yet, though, because they post a little risk of a twisted ankle or foot, so I don't run on my favorite trails right before a marathon.

We finished the Nashville Marathon almost two weeks ago, and we are doing another this weekend.  I have been too busy to post the runs in between, but there have been six:

Date Place Miles Time Pace
5/06   Park 3.2   36:48   11:30   Run 1, walk 2
5/05   Park 2.1       A little weak today
5/03   Park 4.9       Run 1, walk 2
5/02   Park 3.8   42:47   11:16   
4/30   YMCA 3.0   33:54   11:18   Somewhat better
4/29   YMCA 3.0   35:14   11:44   First recovery run

North Dakota State's official logo
is the bison.  This one is more
colorful than most.
Everything is better except the backache.  The Mayo x-ray doesn't indicate any bone issue, though, so I'll just have to see how it feels.  I'll start with a run/walk ratio of 1 to 2, or maybe even 2 to 5.  I never take ibuprofen or naproxen before a race, but I'm thinking of bringing one naproxen capsule along just in case.

The course is open for seven hours, but there is a threat of rain and even thunderstorms in the afternoon.  Race directors don't like lightning, so I'll move along with all deliberate speed and hope that the course doesn't get closed before I finish.

Next post will be post-race.

No comments: