Saturday, January 27, 2007

Winter Carnival Half Marathon

Deer on the way to the race. Four others crossed in front of the carWhooeee I feel good after a run, especially today. St Paul Winter Carnival Half Marathon, 1:48:24, pace 8:17. I was hoping for 1:50, just slightly better than last year, so this is a fine result. Time is approximate because results are not on the web yet.

For the very first time, I ran this race without walking at all; there are rolling hills, and in the past I have walked a little around mile 10 and the very steep hill near the finish. This was a training run for a slightly-hilly marathon three weeks from now, however, so I ran all hills. Don chugs the last few hundred yards to the finishFelt strong throughout, and might have done a little better yet if I hadn’t been so leery of the wind and slippery roads. The race is a nice out-and-back along the Mississippi River, and on the way back the 19-mph wind wasn’t a factor except in the last three blocks. You can see the back of my jacket billowing out from that wind. At mile 4 or 5 the sun came out, and from then on the slipperiness turned to ordinary dampness on the road, no problem.

I wore three technical shirts under my wind jacket, which turned out to be one too many. But I ran most of the race with the wind jacket unzipped; problem solved. I wore a full ski mask on my head, which was too much, but I don’t own the headgear that I should have used today, whatever that is. A lighter ski mask? Balaclava? I wore my “Teflon” running pants with foam-rubber knee warmers underneath; knee pain if I don’t keep them warm.Nice cups!
Splits: 8:38, 8:00, 8:16, 7:57, 8:43 (water), 8:12, 24:34 (3 mi), 8:23 (water), 8:27, 8:04, 9:11 (1.1 mi).

Only one minor problem: Beginning at about mile 11, my lower right leg started to feel like it was going to sleep, as if the blood flow was constricted. I actually did slow to a walk three different times to try to shake that leg, and after each little walk I did feel (or imagined) some warmth coming to the heel of that foot, just like it feels when blood flow is restored. What could this be? (1) Thalidomide: the start of peripheral neuropathy (I hope NOT); (2) Thalidomide: a blood clot in an artery (unlikely but I took an aspirin); or (3) Cold weather causing the heel to go a little bit numb. I like (3) the best. Anyway it disappeared when the race ended, and it’s fine now.

3 comments:

Chad said...

Great job, Don. Glad you got under your goal time.

walchka said...

Congrats Don! You're a brave soul to continue all your racing with the cold sap we've had. Keep it up!

Dori said...

Congratulations! I didn't realize you were running the Securian 1/2. That's a great time, especially in such cold weather.

About your leg numbness, I've experienced something similar in my left arm during my last two runs. I'm attributing it to the cold weather.