Wednesday, August 10, 2011

As Good As It Gets

Wednesday, Aug 10, 2011:

A few days ago I chortled about the wonderful weather, saying it couldn’t get much better. I was wrong. This morning was as good as it gets. We three ran the Gateway Trail in 63 degree weather, a bright sun flickering occasionally through the trees that border the trail for most of its way. No wind, low dewpoint, just about perfect.

I ran and walked, running 30 triplets, then walking 20. A triplet is three footfalls, a convenient measure because a triplet takes me almost exactly one second when I’m running. It takes a bit longer when walking. The 30 running triplets take 30 seconds, and the the 20 walking triplets take about 25 seconds. Seems boring, counting all the time, but it gets pretty automatic and there is plenty of room in the brain for other thoughts. Long division is difficult, but everything else is fair game.

I went 16 miles and felt stronger at the end than at the start. 2:50:20, pace 10:39. I was trying to take it easy, but that’s a pretty good long-run pace for me.

Two gels, two salt tablets, and 40 ounces of water. The right knee with PFS did hurt a little most of the way, but I’m happy. It’s a masterpiece!

Monday, Aug 8, 2011:

The weather is improving. This morning was cooler, though the dew point was still in the 60's and the grass in the park was pretty wet. But I enjoyed running on the hilly grass trails anyway. Not a too-energetic run, just a nice cruise in the park. 6.9 miles in 1:18, pace 11:18. It’ll do. 12 miles for the week so far.

Breakfast after this morning's run. There is oatmeal under there somewhere:

No comments: