Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Tough Run

Sand, gravel, stones, puddles, thistles clutching at bare legs, herbicides, and deer ticks. My run this morning. One of my favorite trails is a little maintenance road alongside the railroad tracks, just two dirt wheel-paths, really. I have hardly used it this year, running in the park instead, but decided to do six miles out and back today.

In prior years, the railroad maintained the road a little better than I found it today. In many places, weeds and thistles crowded the road from both sides, grabbing at legs. Even the center, between the paths, was overgrown. In some places, though, the weeds on the track side of the road were brown and dying, making it easier to run there, until it dawned on me that they had obviously been sprayed with herbicide. Duh.

To top it off, when I got back I found deer ticks on my legs and shoes. Everything went into the washing machine when I got home, especially the shoes and socks. I guess the RR trail isn’t my favorite any more, not now anyway. Maybe next spring.

Six miles, about half running and half walking, I forgot my watch, so no time. It was a learning experience.

Oatmeal (underneath), strawberries, kiwi, blueberries, walnuts, pineapple, yogurt, and dark chocolate. Mostly organic food.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Oh, ticks. I can't take ticks. Sorry your RR trail isn't what it used to be. I got attacked by biting bugs on one of my favorite trails a month ago and haven't been back. Hope the mower visits your trail soon.