Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Dreary-Day Run

Tuesday, January 19:

Another “long” run today, 14.4 miles on local roads, two loops of 7.2 miles, each beginning and ending at my house. I did stop for a potty break in between the loops, but no other stops. A little walking up a few hills, and for taking water or gel, but that’s all the walking. Longest run since the OBX Marathon in November, building toward the next marathon.

Temperature was 25 today, afternoon run, but overcaset and dreary with a little breeze that seemed to pass right through my wind jacket. I wore three layers above and tights below, but everything was a little cold - thighs, butt, and midsection, even the top of my head, which never gets cold. I hope I didn’t set myself up for an illness - I did take a hot bath right away when the run was done.

Slight pain on the very outside of the left hip. I felt a little of that Sunday, maybe even Saturday. Today it was there but didn’t get much worse. Everything is sore, though. Quads, hamstrings, calves, hips, everything is sore after the run. But sore in a good way - these muscles will remember the lesson of today and will be better prepared next time.

I wore the Nike Miler shoes, because they have an aggressive tread and little ventilation. Water every 20 minutes, gel every 40.

Splits: First loop 1:11:30, second loop 1:11:24. I’m a little surprised that the second loop was as good as the first, but I did feel OK at the end. Pace overall 9:55, good enough for a winter run. I think muscles will work better when they are a little warmer.


2 comments:

Amytrigirl (aka Amybee) said...

I think your pace sounds terrific! (your breakfast looks terrific too!)

Thompson said...

Wow. Running outside on this stuff at your pace is very impressive (I live in Stillwater, so I know what your running on).

And the food looks great. Always glad to see what your cooking.