Sunday, September 27, 2009

MMRF Race for Research

Don chats with the MMRF manager The MMRF Race for Research is my race! I started slowly, because the start is a bit congested, then ran steadily (no walking!) to the finish in 26:18, pace 8:29. Good enough. Along the way I saw the ghost of Steve Quick, smiling and leaning against a tree, but couldn’t stop to see if he was real. He probably was - he said "hello." Great of you to come Steve.

The race was particularly delightful this year, the fourth annual. Weather was perfect, sunny but cool with a little breeze. As always there was a live band, and about 1000 participants raised $150,000 for myeloma research. That’s wonderful, folks, keep me alive! It’s a masterpiece.

Splits: 9:00, 8:14, 9:06 (1.1 mi), total 26:18.

Saturday, Sep 26:

Some of the St Croix Runners, in the fog! The St Croix Valley Runners had a good-size group on Saturday, running in the early-morning fog. I ran slowly, because I had a race the next day, not pushing much at all. Nevertheless I finished in 46 minutes, just a minute over my usual 45-minute "tempo" pace. I ran with Dennis for a while, an old-time SCV runner who is coming back to running. He’s a lot faster than me, but was also taking it easy because of an upcoming race. Pace 9:12, good enough.

3 comments:

SteveQ said...

It was nice to see you again, this time from across the street from my house. I would've run the race, but my legs were hurting too much to bother - and it was a lot more competitive this year than last year! I was surprised (pleasantly) at how big a crowd there was; when you went by at the mile mark, I saw probably 400 people behind you, stretching around the lake.

You ran about a minute faster than last year... a masterpiece, indeed.

Beth said...

You were super fast! I'll have to keep this race in mind for next year. My kids had activities all weekend so I couldn't do it this year. Congrats!

Beth said...

Good luck at the marathon tomorrow. I have to leave right after the 10 mile to go to a wedding, so I can't stay to cheer on the marathoners. I hope you have a great day and I can't wait to hear all about it.