Thursday, August 20, 2009

Tartan Terrible 5k Race

Tartan Terrible 5k Race. This is a favorite little race for me, not too far from our home, on grass, trails, roads, and even through water on an ancient submerged road some years. In the past it has been four miles, two 2-mile loops, but the route changed this year because of pipeline construction, and this year it was a one-loop 5k. Roughly. Just short of a 5k, says the race director.

The weather was AWFUL leading up to the race, including tornados that struck Minneapolis and an inch of rain in our gauge, but the skies cleared for the race and, except for wet grass, the weather was delightful and the running was fine. Even the abandoned road through the little lake was above water this year. People say it’s been chest-deep under water some years, but I’ve never run in water more than thigh deep there.

I finished in 28:09, according to my watch. Results were not available when I left, and will not be posted on the web. Tsk. That would be a pace of 9:05 IF the distance was 5k. I should still be able to run a flat 5k at an 8-minute pace, and I wish I could have run even this more-difficult 5k a little faster, but I ran 14 miles yesterday and just didn’t have more in me. Besides, it’s supposed to be a fun race and it was actually fun.

I’m at Mayo Clinic as I write this, waiting for the oncologist to interpret the results of today’s blood tests. Hopefully we will be able to cut back on the dexamethasone from here forward - that might help me regain a little of the lost speed.



Recent lunch: Sunshine's veggie dish with cheese & gluten-free pasta, organic nectarine, organic Brazil nuts, parmesan cheese.

1 comment:

Neil Klein said...

Thanks for the reminder (about making it a masterpiece), it's easy to forget. I ran the race with my boys. I agree, it was a lot of fun.