Sunday, March 16, 2014

Colder Run in the Park

Twelve degrees, little wind, bright sun, we wanted to see how this would feel if we encountered it in a marathon.  From the top: Visor and heavy ear covers, athletic undershirt, long-sleeved tech shirt, short-sleeved tech shirt, unlined wind jacket, windproof mittens, briefs, running pants, long Wrightsox, usual running shoes.

I ran almost five miles on the park's paved trails, with only my face getting a little cold.  The body accommodates, though, and after a couple of miles my face was warm enough.  Nothing else got cold - in fact, I had to open my wind jacket a bit for some of the run.  In a marathon I should probably add a scarf, in case of more wind.  I can carry it around my waist when it's not in use.

Whining: The right knee with patellofemoral syndrome (PFS) did complain a little, but not enough to limit my speed.  I don't know if it was caused in part by the cold, but a little more cold running would be good training.

Splits: 29:12 out, 28:13 back, total 57:25, distance 4.72 mi, pace 12:10.   That's a good pace for the next marathon.

1 comment:

Running Librarian said...

Great job on your run!