Monday, May 16, 2011

Classic Runners' Knee

Monday, May 16, 2011:

Dr Ronald Yee at SMG. For my knee. He’s a sports doctor, fairly young, but seems to really know what he’s doing. He did a lot of prodding, poking, and bending, of course, and took several X-rays. Results:

  • The prodding and poking didn’t seem conclusive to me, but he diagnosed the pain as “classic runners' knee,” otherwise known as patellofemoral pain syndrome.
  • He ordered therapy, suggesting Katie Larson at OSI, who herself is a runner.
  • We discussed the possibility that the underlying problem might be a piece of stray cartilage floating in the joint. If so, we’ll need an MRI to find it.
  • He also made sure I understood that he wants to see me again in 4 to 5 weeks if there is no improvement.
  • The X-ray disclosed no problem, and in fact he said that for my age the meniscus looks “fantastic.” So I haven’t wrecked that yet.
He also said that I should avoid doing things that hurt very much, if possible, but if I just have to run a particular marathon to get that particular state, then do it. I think this was his way of saying that I probably won’t do permanent injury by running on pain, but it sure as heck won’t get better. OK, I get it.

Personally I think it’s more likely a “floater” in the knee joint, rather than runner’s knee. Either way, we’ll figure it out.

I have an appointment with Katie Larson next week, and I’m going running tomorrow. Easy does it. I’m SO HAPPY that it isn’t a more serious problem - this will NOT stop my running. It’s a masterpiece.

Sunday, May 15, 2011:

We ran on the Gateway Trail today, from the Hwy 96 bridge up toward the new Manning Avenue Bridge and back. I had knee pain right away and quickly gave up on running all the time, switching to run/walk right away, 30 seconds run and 30 seconds walk.

Gradually the pain went away, and in the last two miles I switched to 60 seconds run and 30 walk. Then, with only 2/3 mile remaining, I turned to reverse course and the knee immediately started to hurt. I had to walk most of that last 2/3 mile.

Not a masterpiece for running, but what a beautiful day it was. 65 degrees and sunny, breezy, just lovely.

Definitely going to the doctor tomorrow.

Splits: 3:54 (1/3 mi), 11:30, 10:08, 18:59 (1 1/2 mi), 11:34, 3:39 (1/3 mi), 15:03 (1 1/3 mi), total 6.5 mi in 1:11:05, pace 10:56.

Saturday, May 14, 2011:

This started out as an easy 6-mile run in the park, but ended up as mostly a walk. Almost right away, my right knee started to hurt, in the joint itself. I couldn’t tell if it hurt more on the footfall or the lift. The pain was easily tolerable - I could run on it and I did run for most of a mile, but became concerned about injuring the knee and started to walk instead. It didn’t hurt to walk.

Rats. This is the knee problem that’s been lurking for several years now. Several times, starting February 16, 2008, that knee has “locked up,” leaving me hopping for a moment on the other leg. It clears up fairly soon, and I can run again, but it comes back from time to time, as it did today. I hope it doesn’t tomorrow. I realize that I’ve been favoring that knee lately when going downstairs - it hurts if I put weight on the knee while bending it. Oddly, though, it doesn’t hurt going upstairs. I haven’t seen a doctor about this in three years - perhaps it’s time.

One issue: Today was cold and windy, 48 degrees and 15-20 mph, and I ran in shorts. Knees got pretty cold. It’s possible that the knee would have been fine in warmer weather. It’ll be 60 tomorrow, perfect for running.

No masterpiece today though.

There's oatmeal under there somewhere:
Breakfast

No comments: