Sunday, August 15, 2010

Clif Shot Gels Really Work

Sunday, August 15, 2010:

These are the days that just make you feel like running. 65-70 degrees, low humidity, and a brisk crosswind on the Gateway Trail this morning. What a delightful change from recent weather.

I ran "long" today, 16 miles on the sand/gravel/mud horse trails along the Gateway. They are slightly more hilly than the paved trail, you have to watch your step, and the surface probably takes a little extra energy from every step, but I’m training for a gravel-road marathon. It went very well, mostly running with some walking. I wore my Dirty Girl Gaiters and got only a little sand in my shoes, no pebbles.

One running phenomenon came through very clearly today: Clif Shot Gels do what they are supposed to do. I took three of them along the route, roughly at miles 4, 8, & 12, and each time I noticed an obvious increase in energy ten to fifteen minutes later. I use the Mocha flavor, with 100 calories of carbohydrates and 50 mg caffeine, and I have no idea which is more important - the carbs or the caffeine. No doubt other flavors and other brands would do as well - but Clif Shots are mostly organic, and, according to the list of ingredients, appear to be free of gluten.

At the finish of the run, I had energy left. Sometimes I feel beat after a long run, but not today. Better yet, no pains of any kind during the run, though I do have a little pain in the right ankle afterward. That ankle has been bothering just a little for months now - perhaps I should bring it to a sports doctor. It seems to get worse when I mow the lawn or run on trails; I mowed yesterday and ran trails today. Tsk.

Happy news - the bridge over Manning Avenue is showing progress again. Pilings are being driven, eventually to support the historic iron-frame bridge that will go there. A new sign says that the bridge itself is being repaired and refurbished, and construction should be completed by December. That will take one big risk out of the Gateway Trail.

Splits: 10:11, 9:05, 10:45, 9:11, 10:22, 10:22, 10:31, 11:12, 9:44, 10:52, 10:53, 9:48, 11:06, 10:03, 10:16, 10:23, total 2:44:48, pace 10:18. Of course this was only 16 miles, but if I could continue that pace for a full marathon, it would be a Boston-qualifying time. I don’t want to run Boston again, but I’d like to qualify again. It’s a runner thing.

Saturday, August 14, 2010:

St Croix Valley Runners, so it must be Saturday. 7:00 am, Northland Tennis Courts. I ran with Gauss and Candy, at the front of the pack actually, even though we really weren’t in a hurry. Gauss must have been in a little bit of a hurry, though, because he eventually eased out ahead. Five miles in 46:30, pace 9:18. No pains, no problems. Very humid day, the last one for a while I hope.

Thursday Evening, August 12, 2010:

Woodbury Runners, 88 degrees with a dewpoint of 70. Ouch. Rich and I took the short 5.2-mile route, and ran slowly besides, walking now and then. But four or five others ran the regular 6.2-mile route and finished well ahead of us ("what happened to you guys?"). We finished without risking any heat injury, is what happened. Now 28 miles this week. New week starts Saturday.

Signs along the Gateway Trail:

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Clif Shot Gels, has an interesting and wise ingredient content, not less not too much, and the energy boost it offers is also good !!!Energy shot