Sunday, July 26, 2009

Six Miles in the Park

Another warm run in the park today, 6.25 miles in 1:04:47, pace 10:22. Temp 77 degrees and rising, with a full sun. Jim picked me up and we ran together, though it’s an easy jog for Jim. To underscore that, Jim finished the Lumberjack 10-mile race a full 30 minutes faster than I did. Imagine. Three minutes per mile faster.

I find my speed to be limited mostly by breathing these days, and have to drop to a walk when my breathing rate goes too high. That happens a lot now, though I don’t really mind it. Today’s pace was also affected by the heat, a too-recent breakfast, and no doubt by yesterday’s 10-mile race. But it’s plenty good enough considering the hilly, soft, grass & dirt trail. All good.

I did feel a twinge behind the right knee today, possibly one of the cruciate ligaments. It spoke up sharply yesterday as I rolled out of bed, and muttered a little after the 10-mile race was finished. Today it complained softly as we started the run, but then quieted completely and has been silent since. I think I slept on it wrong, and it will heal by Tuesday.

Now, a few hours after today’s run, I feel a twinge in the right achilles’ tendon. Huh. Hope that’s a short-lived thing. Tomorrow is a day off from running, and a day of stretches and upper-body resistance training.

Lunch
Lunch: Leftover free-range bison with carrots, rice, and herbs, gluten-free pasta with organic broccoli or maybe Jim's broccoli, organic sweet potatoes with a litte pineapple, organic ranier cherries, organic mustard.

No comments: