Sunday, May 17, 2009

Cold Weather, Warm Weather

Sunday, May 17:

I started this run slowly and speeded down from there. Just no energy at all this afternoon, The weather was a bit warm, 64 degrees according to the weather bureau and 71 according to our own thermometer. I believe ours, and it seemed even warmer, with lots of sun and hardly any wind. The route was new for me, a jog out of our town into another, then back through a park, for 10.9 miles.

I walked a lot. A lot. Just couldn’t keep going. Which is just as well, because overheating was a possibility. Total time was 1:51:24, for a pace of 10:13.

Really? I thought I was going much slower than that. Well, that's not so bad then.

Saturday, May 16:

St Croix Valley Runners. What a cold, uninviting day to run! Forty degrees with a strong northwest wind. Seven of the nine guys (seven of nine, Trekkies!) wore tights or long pants, with only two of us in shorts. I wore shorts but had my knee protectors on. I was a little surprised by the robust size of the group! Randy is back - that's nice.

Two fast guys zipped out ahead, with another group not far behind. I ran behind with old Dave, who was taking it easy because he had a 5k race later that same morning. We finished the five miles in 45:21, which is a pace of 9:04. I’m OK with that.


Tonight's dinner: Roast no-hormone no-antibiotic beef (Whole Foods), jicama, vegetable curry dish including organic carrots, organic sweet potatoes, organic squash, onions, a few organic raisins, and organic coconut.

No comments: