Sunday, April 12, 2009

Ten Miles on Easter Sunday

Yesterday I rode my bike, measuring a race course, and did not run. Up at 5:15 am to calibrate the bike, measuring by 7:30 am, finished with all the bike riding and race course marking by about 1:30. After that I was too tired to run. And too busy documenting the course.

So today I took a double dose of running, more or less. Ten miles on my favorite rocky dirt road along the railroad tracks. This time I went west five miles, to within 0.2 miles of the end of the road, then came back. Most of the trail is firm dirt with a few rocks packed into it, but there are short stretches of all rock and stretches of very soft dirt, almost sand. It’s all good - I’m training, not racing. Nothing unusual on this run - no trains (sigh) or deer or wild turkeys. This time. But plenty of other wildlife, including several humans grilling Easter dinner in their back yards. A couple of those yards smelled delicious.

In the first mile I did feel some pain in the right knee, which has been just a little annoying lately. This was different though - the pain was at the top inside of the kneecap rather than the bottom where it has been before, and it went away rather quickly. Not much to worry about I think. Nothing else - the black toe does not hurt, just looks black. It’ll do what black toes do, I guess. Takes a year!

Again I took a 90-second walk break after each mile. That works! The 90 seconds is derived according to this scientific formula: 1 minute seems too short, and 2 minutes seems too long.

Splits: 9:13, 8:55, 9:30, 9:30, 9:30, 10:02, 9:43, 9:17, 10:13, 10:07, total 1:36:00, pace 9:36. Hey I’ll keep it!


Click to enlarge, BACK to return here
Breakfast some months ago: Gluten-free oatmeal with raisins or dried cranberries, blueberries, almonds, walnuts, maybe filberts, organic pomegranate juice, and organic fat-free milk.

No comments: