Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Twenty One Miles

In three runs.

Tuesday, Dec 11:

For the first time this winter Sunshine, Sweet Pea, and I went to Stillwater’s inflated bubble-dome to run indoors around the soccer fields. Fifty cents for seniors, two dollars for others, free for all on Wednesdays. The nice soft soccer surface is easy on ancient joints, but I fear it may take away a little energy on each step without giving it all back. Oh well, all the better for training.

The run was energetic and felt good, 7.94 miles in 1:07:57, for pace of 8:34, last lap at a pace of 7:19. I’ll keep it. I’m sure about the distance, because I measured it with a calibrated wheel a few years back. Temperature was about 55 degrees, a little cooler near the edges of the bubble, perfect for running; I overdressed and found myself removing a little clothing every loop until I got down about as far as I could go. Next time I’ll wear shorts instead of tights, and a technical long-sleeve shirt, and that’ll be it. Lots of walkers came in out of the cold today, mostly senior citizens like myself it seemed, and just a few other runners.

A young man, perhaps 18 or 19, passed me on the fly one time, then stopped to rest. A lap or two later he joined me, explaining that he needed to run my pace or else he would go too fast for the condition that he was in. His Army recruiter had advised him to get in shape, he said. He ran with me for perhaps three of my 42 laps, then stopped again and soon left the building. I wonder if he accomplished much on his goal today. I think that a brand-new runner should set a modest goal, say two miles, then get there by running until s/he can’t run any farther, then walk until s/he can run again, repeating until the goal is reached. After a week or two s/he will reach that goal without walking, and then it’s time to increase the distance 10% to 20% per week.

Sunday, Dec 9:

Neighborhood roads, an 8.2-mile loop in 1:10:55, for a pace of 8:38. This was a good run - I felt strong throughout and ran a good time despite a hilly course in eleven-degree weather with four layers of clothing up top and roads with a lot of packed snow and ice. Very nice for a training run. Now I need to stretch out the miles so I can do a marathon at that pace, or just a tad faster. Then I’ll be back in condition. Nike Miler shoes today, for warmth and aggressive tread.

Saturday, Dec 8:

St Croix Valley runners, six stalwarts braved the eight-below temperature for five miles, no problems. George and I finished in 46:42, for a glacial pace of 9:20, but we were quite content with that. Luke and Tom finished well ahead, with Roy & Dave just behind us. It was actually a rare morning, clear and crisp with a beautiful sunrise as we ran. Used the Nike Miler shoes for their very grippy tread and lack of ventilation. Two pairs of socks, pajamas under running pants, five layers above, ski mask, you get the picture. I wore contacts, because glasses would ice over in seconds under the ski mask.


Eggs for breakfast
Every morning for breakfast, two organic eggs over medium in a steel pan, with pepper and salt. Love 'em.

Oatmeal for breakfast
Today's breakfast (besides the eggs): Organic oatmeal, banana, blueberries, Don's fruit/berry/nut mix, organic walnuts, chopped cocoa beans, organic lowfat milk.

Sunday's bison dinner
Today's breakfast (besides the eggs): Organic oatmeal, banana, blueberries, Don's fruit/berry/nut mix, organic walnuts, chopped cocoa beans, organic lowfat milk.

Monday's taco salad
Last night's Taco Salad supper: Organic leaf lettuce, ground bison, organic aged cheddar, organic blue corn chips, nightshade-free salsa with organic sweet potato, organic squash, organic beet, and Mexican spices.

No comments: