Monday, December 24, 2007

Didn’t Mean to Do It

But it felt so good! North St Paul Community Center, four miles in 31:15, pace 7:49. This was supposed to be four easy miles. I had just finished clearing four inches of snow off our long driveway, I felt tired, and just wanted to log a few miles. So I was surprised when the first lap went by two seconds faster than usual. As the laps passed by I felt better and better, so I increased the pace to maintain the same level of perceived effort. This is not a race pace, to be sure, but by far the fastest I’ve run in the Community Center this fall. Actually, it is a PR race pace for me if it were a half marathon. Huh. Don’t know how much longer I could have kept it up though.

Breathing was four footfalls per full breath until the last few laps, then three per breath. Splits: 8:26, 7:44, 7:41, 7:23. No pains whatsoever!

I wonder if the dirt that I am eating somehow helps a little. :-)



Drifting in under the storm door
Indoor snowdrift: Yesterday's wind blew the very fine falling snow right in under the storm door, filling up the space between the storm door and the front door. Parts of the driveway were a foot deep, and parts were blown completely bare.

Nutritious salad
Last night's salad: Organic romaine, cucumber, fresh papaya, pistachio nuts, Danish blue cheese, avocado with organic lemon.

Breakfast made for speed
Today's breakfast: Organic oatmeal, organic nonfat milk, banana, chopped cocoa beans, organic walnuts, Don's fruit/berry/nut mix.

1 comment:

peter said...

Okay, send me some of that grit, would you, Don? A fine four mile training run. Very close to my race pace (of two years ago when I was younger). When I lived in Colorado, I sometimes opened my front door to that thin inner shelf of snow inside the storm door. Not since I moved to VA though. Keep up the good work!