Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Plantar Fasciitis is NOT Gone

Wednesday, Sept 5:

Running is out because of the plantar fasciitis, and biking is out for the moment because of a hamstring problem that seems to be made worse by biking. So today my sweeties and I went to the park reserve for some trail training. I walked fast, and they walked & ran to keep up. We went 3.8 miles in 1:02:00, which is not fast, but fast enough.

We will be running a trail marathon before too long, so this was a dress rehearsal. We all got our feet wet, which will probably also happen in the real race and we’ll have to deal with it. I learned that I should have applied skeeter dope! All around it was a good experience. We may do something like that tomorrow, and adjust our pace more closely to the pace we’re shooting for in the marathon.

Unfortunately, I did feel the PF heel again today, so I wonder whether it will be ready for another race anytime soon. Guess we’ll see.

Monday, Sept 3:

Because of the resurging (lurking) plantar fasciitis, I walked the Victory 5k rather than run it. That’s nice too, because I walked/ran with my sweeties and got some good photos. The PF didn’t seem to get any worse.

I certainly enjoyed seeing some of my good running friends as well. Been too long. If it turns out that I can’t run, maybe I’ll need to volunteer at some races to keep those friendships going.

Saturday, Sept 1:

Buckshot 2 mile race in Eau Claire. I started fairly far back, not knowing how it would feel to race. As it went along I felt fine and passed quite a few people, but took second place in my age group to a good runner. I’m quite happy with the race result.

EXCEPT, the plantar-fasciitis foot hurt a little, just in the last half mile or so. I slowed a little when I felt that, and it didn’t get worse, but it’s really quite discouraging. The doctor said that two months off “almost always” cures PF, but it’s still there, lurking. Drat. I don’t like to cuss in my blog, but if I did this would be a time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have mild to moderate plantar fasciitis -- and am a marathon runner (about 20 marathons). Really enjoy your blog and hope that you are soon cured. Like you, I am cycling -- did a metric century in August, while I wait for this nagging injury to heal. The best thing I've found it to ice the heel every night. I also found massage, including chinese foot massage -- to really work. My physical therapist said the heel will heal eventually -- but the massage may speed it up. I am President of my running club -- the Foothill Flyers -- and know it's hard to stop running. Good luck!

Don said...

Thanks Julie,

Good luck to you as well. -- Don

Anonymous said...

Once upon a time I had flat feet and plantar fasciitis pain. Then I applied engineering basics which I studied as part of earning a degree in architecture from Carnegie-Mellon University. Now I have beautiful arches on my feet and no foot pain. I have written two books with this information. One lady who graduated from Cornell University was headed for a wheelchair when she read my book. Several weeks later she was running around and jumping off bolders. You can learn more at www.FootArch.com . My name is Dennis Denlinger and my book about the feet specifically is "A New Foot Health Solution."

chainey said...

Don't be fooled by Mr Denlinger. His book is fraudulent.

If you don't believe me, read a review (not by me) written here.

I can confirm the opinion expressed in the review. The book is childish pap, written by a moron.