Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Tue, 2006 Nov 28, 8 mi indoors

North St Paul Community Center (NSPCC) indoor track, 8 mi in 1:11:22, 8:55 pace. 13 ½ laps per mile, nothing more boring except a treadmill. This is better because the track has windows on all sides, and because I go past A & S every two or three laps. I was shooting for a 9:00 pace, so this is fine. No complaint from the hamstring! I felt an ache there during the stretches later, but I'm hoping that is just part of the healing process.

According to my breathing at that 8:55 pace, I didn't lose too much during the 18-day respite from running. When running at marathon pace, I normally take four footsteps for each full in-and-out breath. Today I was taking five or six, so I was breathing easy. That's good - I should be back to normal soon. Maybe I already am. But still going easy on that hammy. Tomorrow another six miles, easy again, maybe in snow? I love snow, as long as there is no ice underneath.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Don!
Found your blog through Beth's. I'm a runner (ha ha, jogger), my mom has multiple myeloma. I am doing the Kiawah half marathon in her honor. (see EVENTS at www.myeloma.org) I am dealing with a hamstring aggrevation...can't believe you did 8 INSIDE, and SO appreciate your reference to breathing pattern::stride steps. Are you a musician? I've added swimming to my cross training and my hammy appreciates it...
Keep up the good work online and on the road. brrr

Don said...

Hi Gina,

Joggers are runners! Even walkers are runners,says I. My wife and daughter did the Kiawah half two years ago, while I did the full. It's a very flat course; we loved it, and as a side benefit we saw how the very wealthy live :-)

Not a musician, appreciate your swimming suggestion. Keep on truckin'

Don said...
This comment has been removed by the author.