Thursday, July 14, 2011

More Than a Recovery Run

Woodbury Runners, six miles with Rich and Corey. We all had our reasons to run slowly, and we even walked a little. Nonetheless, I found myself breathing pretty hard, just to keep up. I got hot at one point too, even though the temperature was only about 70. We finished in 1:02:30, for a pace of 10:25. I can do much better, but not today, the first run after the Missoula Marathon.

The right knee with PFS hurt a little most of the way, but not enough to hinder. I tried my old Brooks Glycerine 5 shoes, which I bought in 2007 but have rarely used. They have more cushioning than the Brooks Launch, my current training/racing shoe, but they didn’t seem to help the knee and I thought (imagined?) that they felt heavier. They actually ARE heavier, by more than three ounces per shoe, but I’m not sure I can really tell the difference between 11 and 14 ounces.

Is the cushioning still good, four years after purchase? I don’t know, so I’m probably not done experimenting with more cushioning. The knee does seem to bother less if I run on dirt instead of pavement, suggesting that cushioning can make a difference.

Roast bison, organic heritage tomatoes, asparagus, organic squash, organic strawberries:

No comments: