Monday, January 31, 2011

Geezer Dome

I heard that name used for the Stillwater Bubble today. Indeed, looking around, many of the people walking in the dome were seniors, like myself. However, “geezer” implies men, and at least half of the walkers and runners are women, and according to my resident advisors the term “geezer” is insulting if applied to a woman.

Further, walking and running are not the prime activities hosted by the dome. It’s built for soccer, and during other hours it’s used for soccer, baseball, and lacrosse, as well as many other sports. For example, one day we saw US Marine recruiters from all over the state playing flag football games. So I won’t be using the term geezer dome.

NO WALKING TODAY. As an experiment, I tried to slow down to a pace of 10 minutes per mile, because my natural pace is faster but I'm unable to sustain it. Sometimes this doesn’t work very well, I speed up as soon as my attention wanders, but today it worked and I ran for an hour, six miles, without stopping or walking. It’s good.

Breakfast:
Breakfast

1 comment:

Beth said...

Hmmm... I may have to differ on this one. I think geezer applies to men and women. No one in your house is a geezer, though! :)